Parliament adopted a declaration on Bulgaria’s accession to the North Atlantic Treaty
With 178 votes in favour and 4 against, the National Assembly adopted a declaration on the occasion of Bulgaria’s accession to the North Atlantic Treaty.
DECLARATION OF THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY ON THE REPUBLIC OF BULGARIA’S ACCESSION TO THE NORTH ATLANTIC TREATY
The Thirty-Ninth National Assembly of the Republic of Bulgaria
Reminding the repeatedly declared will of the Republic of Bulgaria to accede the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO);
Underlining the national consensus on the strategic priorities for full membership of the Republic of Bulgaria in NATO and the European Union;
Emphasizing the consistent efforts of the Republic of Bulgaria, as a member of the international community, to preserve and promote peace, security and stability;
1. Welcomes with deep satisfaction the Republic of Bulgaria’s accession to the North Atlantic Alliance as a result of 14 years of purposeful efforts exerted by all government institutions and Bulgarian society for establishing the values of democracy, the rule of law, human rights, market economy and solidarity, which the Parties to the North Atlantic Treaty stand for and develop and as a historical step towards the realization of the country’s national interests.
2. Views the Republic of Bulgaria’s membership in NATO, together with its forthcoming accession to the European Union, as definitive return of our country in the family of democratic states.
3. Expresses conviction that the Republic of Bulgaria’s accession to the most successful defence alliance in the contemporary world will be an important guarantee for the security, stability and well-being of the country and will guarantee it a proper place in the European and global politics.
4. Confirms the firmness of the policy of uncompromising war on terrorism implemented by the Republic of Bulgaria after 11 September 2001.
5. Confirms the willingness and ability of the Republic of Bulgaria to be a reliable and worthy ally, to share the responsibilities, engagements and rights resulting from NATO full membership, to work for strengthening the unity and solidarity of the allies from Europe and North America, as well as for close and efficient interaction of the Alliance with major international organizations such as UN, OSCE and EU.
6. Underlines the determination of the Republic of Bulgaria to continue to implement consistently and efficiently the reforms related to our participation in NATO with the purpose to enhance our country’s contribution as a member of the Alliance.
7. Welcomes the accession of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia to the North Atlantic Treaty.
8. Confirms that Republic of Bulgaria will continue to support NATO policy of “open doors” and upholds the desire of Albania, the Republic of Macedonia and Croatia for future NATO membership.
9. Confirms the will of the Republic of Bulgaria, as a member of NATO, to contribute to the further enlargement of the area of security and stability in South-East Europe, the Black Sea zone and the Caucasus, in Europe and the adjacent regions, and to the building of a more secure, democratic and prospering world.